30 December 2008

Folding Laundry

After today, I might only fold DH's laundry one more time before he leaves for boot camp. That's a bit of a quieting thought.

As I pulled each item of clothing out of the basket I considered it more closely than I usually would. I notice how threadbare some of my socks are. I notice which pairs of pants are losing their creases. I notice all the stray lint and fibers clinging to every black piece of clothing. I notice how tank tops are stretched and dingy from being washed normally with everything else, instead of by hand.

Also, I mentally catalog each item and where it will be three weeks from now. Where am I going to put DH's clothes? What am I going to pack into my luggage? What am I going to ship to my temporary home? What will go into U-Haul storage with the rest of our belongings that have been stashed away since we moved back from the east coast.

My wardrobe's in pretty shabby shape, but for the most part it doesn't bother me. I'm a low maintenance girl (it's hard for me to call myself a woman) who usually prefers function over aesthetics, and with limited space and very limited money I don't try to change that.

One camisole did get tossed, mostly because it's no longer close to white or to being "presentable", but also partially because it reminds me of an ex. Getting rid of such a thing is long overdue.

But I'm keeping every eight year old sock that is so worn out that I can see through it. It brings back memories of high school. Shabby shape, like I said.


During the process of folding clothes and considering the future, I decided that whatever money I make in Tennessee while DH is in boot camp, I'm going to spend a significant percentage of it on clothes. Probably socks. This is very unlike me; I'm normally very frugal. But it will be a motivational tool, and a nice way to treat myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

During my DH's month deployment his 'scent' was on his folded clothes in the drawer for about 7 months. After that point, I couldn't smell him anymore, not for another 9 months until he came home. I felt pathetic opening up the drawer just to experience him but we have to do whatever we must do to deal with the separation. Good luck!