29 December 2008

The Plan

The same day DH is driven down to San Diego by his recruiter, I'll be driven to the airport by my parents. I won't come back until shortly before he does.

The Plan (tm) is to stay with a couple DH and I know who live in Tennessee. They guy is ex-Navy, and, like Reagan, isn't someone you would expect to enlist for military service. His wife is the creative sort, too, being in a band and a part of the zine community. She also is part of a non-profit that helps local kids form bands and make their own art and stuff like that.

I click well with both of them and feel so incredibly lucky that they offered me use of their spare room in exchange for me playing cook-and-dishwasher for them.

If things go well, I might go back after DH's graduation and stay while he's in MOS school as well.


It might be a sad commentary on my life that I would rather cross the country and stay with friends instead of staying here where my family is. This house, my "stucco tower", is "home" in the sense that I grew up here, my parents live here, and it's been my address for over a year, but in other ways it's not half the home our apartment on the east coast was.

While I dread waking up in familiar rooms without the familiar and wonderful presence of my husband, more than that I want to avoid slipping into "daughter" mode without the counterbalance of "wife" mode. When DH is deployed in the future, I'll surely be alone in familiar rooms, but those will be our rooms, where no one else has a claim on them.


So, yes. Other side of the country, different people. I plan to spend that time helping out the non-profit, work on my webcomic, do lots of amazing cooking, and (if I can find work that doesn't require having my own car) make some money.

1 comment:

Lindsay Gray said...

I agree, a classy-retro function would be fun! But there are some things from the book that just the thought of them annoy me. For instance, wearing gloves. Speaking as someone who has very long fingers, it is virtually impossible to find gloves! There I would be all embarrassed and glove-less...oh the horrors!

It's great that you have a productive plan for while your hubby is in boot. And woo hoo for non-profit/volunteer work!